Overview of UK and ROI Cookie Consent Rules
EU law requires organisations placing cookies through websites onto visitors’ computers to obtain their “consent” after providing clear and comprehensive information about how cookies are used on the websites.
In order to comply with this, we have taken four steps:
(i) Identified cookies and other tracking technologies served through this website, the purposes they fulfill, and related information such as their expiry and whether they are first or third party cookies.
(ii) Assessed the intrusiveness of these cookies on visitors’ expectations of Privacy, based on the information collected in (i) above.
(iii) Provided ‘clear and comprehensive’ information about website cookies with the appropriate level of disclosure corresponding with the intrusiveness of each cookie.
(iv) Decided on an appropriate strategy for obtaining consent for website cookies, taking into account their use and intrusiveness. Certain types of cookie may qualify for legal exemptions and, where this is the case, consent will not be required for these cookies.
Consent Strategies Used on This Website
The consent strategy that is appropriate for any given type of Cookie will depend on the intrusiveness of that Cookie, taking into account:
- who serves the Cookie (i.e. a first or third party)
- what data the Cookie collects
- what purposes it fulfills
- how long it endures
- nature of the website through which it is served.
For Cookies requiring consent, we follow a three-tiered approach for obtaining visitor consent:
- For Cookies of medium intrusiveness: we use the same strategy as for low intrusiveness Cookies and also make contextual disclosures about Cookie use at appropriate points on the websites (e.g. making Cookie disclosures around targeted adverts or other website functionality reliant on these Cookies)
- For Cookies of high intrusiveness: we will implement a prior consent strategy (for example, the use of a banner / pop-up requiring visitors to consent to these Cookies before they are served).
Implied consent for Cookies: Cookies deployed through this websites are of low to medium intrusiveness only.
Cookie disclosures by type, rather than by identity: Given the substantial number of Cookies served through websites, the assessment in Annex A does not disclose and assess the intrusiveness of each Cookie individually. Instead, it groups Cookies by category (for example, ‘advertising cookies’, ‘analytics cookies’ and so on) and assesses the intrusiveness of each category, taking into account the specific features of the Cookies that are within that category. This enables Cookie disclosures that are simpler and clearer for consumers to understand.
NOTE: An assessment of the Cookie types served through this website appears in Annex A and provides information about its purpose(s), expiry and information on refusing the Cookies in “How to Block.”
Links to Other Web Sites
How to Contact Us
Matter Technology Ltd
49 Station Road
Annex A: Types of Cookies Used on This Website
Cookies and other tracking technologies served by Matter Technology Limited service providers and other companies
• Source: Google AdWords / Google Analytics
• Purpose: Collecting pools of users who have visited certain sections of your website – in this way we can use these user lists to better target our PPC activity. E.g. if someone has been to site in past 30 days we know they are already engaged with the brand and therefore we can double our bid to reach these users. Similarly we can negatively target visitors to ensure we are gaining new & incremental traffic to site.
• Expiry: You can set day length – 0 days – 540 days (recommended: 30 days)
• How to block: Using incognito browser / deleting browser history & cookies
Analytics cookies and technologies.